The Roanoke Island Baptist Church in Manteo was the location for the May 18 meeting of family and friends of the Baum-Meekins Cemetery, which is located nearby on the island. Pastor Scott Baxley welcomed over 20 descendants to the church, which in 1808 had received one acre of land from Abraham Baum (1742-1833) for a meeting house because of his ‘love and esteem’ for the Baptist Society on Roanoke Island.
Baxley also touched on church history and the outreach projects and missions at the church since the early 19th century. Trustee chairman Lila Schiffman conducted a brief program for descendants who came from Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia and Florida to be at the meeting. Clare Baum presented an update that addressed concerns when the group gathered last in 2011.
Of particular note is that Currituck Legacy, a history of the Baum family of NC, has been reprinted. In addition, the Cemetery Trust has secured a permanent easement over what was the original lane to the cemetery. Following the program, a shuttle bus took those at the meeting to see the nearby cemetery where their ancestors are buried.